Thursday, December 25, 2008

Elizabeth's September Pies - Chocolate Cream Cheese Pie and Sour Cream and Honey Mousse Pie

Hello!
It's one of my New Year's resolutions to post my submissions quicker. Plus it's going to be part of the new rules. Blech. Did you know we are doing cakes next year?? Our Year of Cakes! Hurray, I broke the news first!!

In September I made 2 pies, because I was sick of not making pies for so many months. I mean, Cutie Pie was tough to make and all, and pretty rewarding (I guess), but dang it, it was time for some regular ol' pie! Both of these recipes come from Icebox Pies, by Lauren Chattman (my mom got it for me for my birthday! Yippee!)

Chocolate Cream Cheese Pie
I made this pie for my friend's birthday party. Fabulous!! It tastes like a mousse. This pie is not to be missed, so don't go missing it.
(I'd like to point out that while Ann repeatedly accuses me of making chocolate pies over and over again, this was my FIRST one of the year. In SEPTEMBER. Eat THAT, Ann! ...No, seriously. Eat that. Dem's tasty pie!)

12 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled (divided)
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1 chocolate cookie crust - 9 inch

1. Put 2 inches or water in a medium-size saucepan and bring the pot to a bare simmer. Combine the chocolate, 1/2 cup of the heavy cream, and the corn syrup in a stainless-steel bowl big enough to rest on top of the saucepan. Place the bowl over the simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water. Heat, whisking occasionally, until the chocolate is completely melted. Remove the bowl from the heat and set the mixture aside to cool until it is just warm, 5 to 10 minutes. Using an electric mixer, beat in the softened cream cheese until the mixture is smooth.

2. In a medium-size mixing bowl using an electric mixer, whip the remaining 1 cup heavy cream until it just holds stiff peaks. Gently fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.

3. Scrape the filling into the prepared pie crust, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula. Cover the pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate it until the filling is completely set, at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.

I also smoothed whipped cream over the top and sprinkled cocoa powder over that. Apparently I took no photos. Surprised?


Sour Cream and Honey Mousse Pie

A picture!

I served this at my September church book club meeting (that's the September meeting of my church book club, not the book club for the church I attend in September). I thought the honey taste was too intense in this pie, but my guests seemed to enjoy it -- sort of. One of them commented that after the first bite, you don't taste it quite so much, but I'm not exactly going for the "Pie That Tastes Nasty on the First Bite But Improves Thereafter" award.

The addition of sliced toasted almonds on top is genius, and really makes the pie. The only problem is that the almonds don't stay crunchy on the leftover pie. If I ever make a pie with toasted almonds on top again, I am going to just add the nuts to each piece as I serve it. That way the leftovers don't taste yucky.

3 T cold water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 cup full-fat sour cream
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1 graham cracker crust - 9 inch
1/2 cup slice almonds

1. While you're baking the crust, place the sliced almonds on a baking sheet and toast them until they are golden, 4-5 minutes. Let them cool completely.

2. Place the cold water in a small sauce pan and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Let the gelatin stand to dissolve. Whisk together the sour cream and honey in a medium-size mixing bowl.

3. Put the sauce pan on the stove and heat the gelatin, whisking constantly, just until it melts, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk the gelatin mixture into the sour cream mixture until the consistency is smooth.

4. In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream until it holds soft peaks. Gently fold the sour cream mixture into the whipped cream.

5. Scrape the filling into the prepared pie shell. Cover the pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate it until the filling is completely set, at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.

6. Just before serving, scatter the toasted nuts over the pie.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I just realized that my gianduia pie was pretty much a chocolate pie. So I shouldn't have called this my first one of the year. OOPS!

DeskSet said...

I like year of pie, but I prefer cakes as a general dessert group. Here's to Year of Cakes!

I got an ice cream maker for Christmas. Maybe I should compliment Year of Cake with Semester of Ice Cream? Only, I probably won't blog about it.

ferskner said...

I was going to write back "GIANDUIA!" but then you wrote your comment.

Those look good - especially the honey mousse pie. You know I don't like chocolate and sour cream/cream cheese very much, but honey with those things sounds so good, like a Greek dessert. Nummy! I want to try it.

Elizabeth said...

Hi ferskner,
The thing is, it doesn't taste like a chocolate cheesecake at all. It just tastes like chocolate mousse. I'm going to make it for you secretively and you will love it without knowing what is in it. And I'll do that...... um, next summer? When will I see you, I do not know.